accessKent will be down for maintenance between 2:30 and 3:30pm, Tuesday, April 11th. The outage will be for approximately 30 minutes.
Kent County LogoKent County Seal

County Clerk

Military Discharge Request Form

There is no charge for a veteran (defined below) to register a military discharge (DD214). If someone other than an eligible person is making the request and the DD214 is 70 years old (from first discharge date), a certified copy is $1.00.

  • When registering, please bring in your original discharge papers issued at time of discharge.
  • The veteran will receive one certified copy of the DD214 at the time it is registered.
  • Only an eligible person can receive a copy of a DD214 (Request Form):
    • Veteran
    • Person with veteran's written permission
    • Heir (documentation required)*
    • Veteran's service officer

    Veteran = According to MCL 35.61, a “veteran” is defined, in part, as one “…who was discharged … under honorable conditions.”
* If the veteran is deceased, an heir can obtain a copy of the military discharge by presenting a copy of the death certificate and proof of relationship to the veteran (e.g., birth certificate, marriage license).

Kent County Clerk
County Administration Building, 1st floor
300 Monroe Avenue NW
Grand Rapids, MI 49503-2288

To obtain a copy of your DD214 report from the military, visit the Veterans Administration.

Contact Us

County Clerk

County Administration Building
300 Monroe Avenue NW
Grand Rapids, MI 49503-2288

Mon-Fri: 8:00am - 4:45pm

Phone: (616) 632-7640

Fax: (616) 632-7645

Lisa Posthumus Lyonse

Lisa Posthumus Lyons
County Clerk/Register

Robert J. Macomber
Chief Deputy County Clerk

Employee Recognition

Nominate a Kent County Employee for Quality Service!